Even though I personally don’t refer to my self as a designer or anything close to it, there are times when I require creating an icon or editing it. Well my personal favorite was from Axialis software company called Axialis Icon workshop, but its got a quite hefty price of around USD. 50. (Not much but still much compared to the free ones). The wonderful thing is its integration with Adobe Photoshop which most of the designers out there will be extremely happy about it. And well, it even hasn’t left the developers empty handed either. It has a plug-in compatible with Visual Studio too. You can download the Free version of Axialis Icon Workshop at the end of the post or from the official website @ http://www.axialis.com/download/iwlite.html.
Axialis IconWorkshop™ Lite Version
Axialis Software, in association with Microsoft Corporation, presents Axialis IconWorkshop Lite for Visual Studio 2008:
- 100% Free for Visual Studio 2008 registered users;
- Make icons for Windows up to 256x256 PNG-compressed icons for Windows Vista™ and include them in your software projects;
- Use an advanced icon editor with various tools, filters and effects;
- Work efficiently using a Plug-in for Visual Studio 2008;
- Create icons from images or ready-to-use image objects;
- Use a fully integrated workspace with librarian, built-in file explorer with thumbnail preview, image viewer and more...
Note: The free version (lite version) does have some limitations.
IconWorkshop-Lite-126.96.36.199-Eng.exe (21.8 mb)